USING TURMERIC FOR ENDOMETRIOSIS
Image courtesy of Todd Quackenbush.
As we approach Endometriosis Awareness month, I am going to be begin featuring topics related to this painful and incurable disease ( 1 in every 10 women suffer from this difficult condition). You can read more about what it is here About Endo
While there is no cure, THERE ARE DIETARY & LIFESTYLE THINGS
that can be done to alleviate some discomfort…
It can be pretty overwhelming to read about this diagnosis for both patients and their loved ones, so I want to start off my blog series with some life style ideas for comfort and some pain reduction. AND as my mother has been insisting, TURMERIC is a great thing to use for endometriosis.
The chemical in Turmeric is curcumin which has a well documented powerful anti-inflammatory effect, and of course there are the issues of detoxing –which is super important for Endo sufferers as their bodies are dealing with inflammation, and sometimes the liver is overtaxed by hormones and medications.
SO Let’s make it easy and delicious please.
If you have endo or someone you love has it, the last thing they need is something complicated or gross tasting.
1. Turmeric Shake
Thanks to Kenkō Kitchen, I recently enjoyed this turmeric “thick shake.”
Recipe & deliciousness courtesy of Kenkō Kitchen
Prep time: 5 minutes
1-2 frozen bananas
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon (plus extra to sprinkle on top)
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 heaped tsp honey or coconut sugar
1 tsp black tea
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/4 star anise (**optional – 1 scoop vanilla protein powder)
INSTRUCTIONS: Add all ingredients into a blender and blitz to combine. Once smooth (about 1-2 minutes pour into a glass and enjoy immediately!
3. Turmeric Milk….
Tumeric Milk aka Golden Milk, served hot or cold…..
I bring this to beach in the summer cold, and drink warm in the winter…
- 1/2 tsp Ginger, ground
4. Nagi’s Turmeric Thai Chicken
Prep 10 minutes, usually made from butterflied chicken and as Nagi says it can be made with any kind of chicken..
- 5 chicken thigh cutlets, skin on and bone in (around 2.5lb / 1.2kg)
- For the marinade: 4 garlic cloves, crushed 2½ tbsp fish sauce 2½ tbsp oyster sauce 1 tsp white pepper, ground 3 tbsp very finely chopped coriander/cilantro stems (as finely as you can mince with knife) 1 tbsp ground turmeric ¼ cup brown sugar (or finely grated palm sugar, I reduced the sugar considerably)
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Add chicken and coat thoroughly in marinade. Marinade for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. If you remember, take chicken out of the fridge and bring to room temperature.
- (Optional) Line a tray with baking paper/parchment paper (to save cleaning up), then place chicken on the baking tray, skin side up.
- Scrape all marinade out of bowl and dab onto chicken.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until deep golden brown and chicken is cooked through. If it is too brown before cooked, cover loosely with foil and return to the oven.
- Allow to rest for 3 minutes before serving with rice and fresh slices of cucumber.
Stove: To cook on the stove, heat a skillet over medium heat. Place skin side down and cover with a lid. Cook for 5 minutes or until the skin is dark golden. Then turn and cover with a lid again, & cook for 8 to 10 minutes until cooked through. Rest for 3 minutes before serving.
4. Turmeric Tomato Soup
This recipe for a delicious soup for two is by Ana Maria, DetoxDIY
The site has a lot of great easy recipes with complete instructions and shopping lists. Great resource, thanks MIA! I love the delicious recipes, photos —and the food!! Ana Maria has a free newsletter in addition to her cookbook. And it’s pretty easy to search by type of food for a great recipe.
- 1 tsp Basil, dried
- 5 oz Cherry tomatoes
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 Onion, small
- 1/2 cup Vegetable stock, low-sodium
- 1 can Tomatoes with their sauce
- Black pepper, Freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 2 tsp Turmeric, powder
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Coconut oil
- Seeds and nuts, mixed
- Heat the coconut oil in a sauce pan and fry the onion and garlic for one minute.
- Add turmeric and cherry tomatoes, and cook until the tomatoes softens and leave their juices.
- Add the tomato can, vegetable stock, apple cider vinegar and basil, bring to boil, cover with a lid and let simmer for five minutes.
- Transfer into the blender and pulse to obtain a creamy liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with mixed seeds and nuts
Well & Good recently featured an article I loved —22 Ideas for Using Turmeric -my fav is this one, but check out their pretty pictures and delicious eats here: Turmeric Super Food Recipes
Servings: 4 • Size: 7 shrimp, 1-1/4 cup slaw
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 limes, divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 ground black pepper
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded (12 oz total)
- 1 (8 oz) mango, julienned
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced into thin strips
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro, divided
- 28 (1 lb peeled and deveined) extra large shrimp
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine 1 tbsp olive oil, juice of 1 lime, 3/4 tsp of the salt and pepper.
- Toss with the cabbage, red onion, mango and 1 tbsp fresh cilantro.
- Combine shrimp with the remaining salt, turmeric, crushed red pepper flakes and cumin.
- In a large deep nonstick pan over medium-high heat, add 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, and cook half of the shrimp 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side, until shrimp is cooked through and opaque.
- Set aside, add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of oil and remaining shrimp and cook until shrimp is cooked through and opaque adding the crushed garlic the last minute.
- Return all the shrimp to the skillet, stir to combine with garlic.
- Remove from heat, squeeze lime over shrimp and toss with cilantro.
- Divide the salad (about 1 1/4 cups) and shrimp between 4 plates
If you wish to learn more about the disease and the treatments currently offered to mediate the problems, please visit these sites below for reliable information.